Fatigue is a major risk to a doctor’s health and to patient safety.
Xigent monitors the working hours of the doctors working with us, and will not allow a placement that we consider to be dangerous. We don’t want bad stuff to happen to you! Your health and safety, and the safety of your patients, is critically important to us.
We expect doctors to inform us of additional working hours, and any other factors that may affect their ability to present for work in a “fit for duty” state.
The AMA’s National Code of Practice – Hours of Work, Shiftwork and Rostering for Hospital Doctors forms a good basis for assessing risk from fatigue and guidelines on appropriate work practices.
- Excessive consecutive hours worked in any one period
- Lack of rest within and between work periods
- Inappropriate speed and direction of shift rotations
- Irregular and unpredictable work schedules
- Night shift or extended hours that lead into night shift
- High workloads or stressful / exacting tasks
We do everything we can to ensure that work that we organise for you minimises those risks. This has to be a cooperative process: you need to tell us of additional working hours, and any other factors that may increase your fatigue risk.
If you are concerned that you may become fatigued or indeed are fatigued then you need to talk to us immediately. We will help sort it out. You cannot work when fatigued – for the safety of you and your patients.